Friday, September 04, 2009

The Big Fletcher Parade

Every year for Labor Day weekend the massive town of Fletcher has a fair. We also have hugely impressive parade to celebrate the occasion. Of course, we don't have our own marching band, so we "borrow" Elgin's. And until about 12 years ago, we didn't really have floats... But that's all beside the point. It's a fun chance for the entire school - K through 12 - to walk (or ride as the case may be) down Main Street. Growing up, I remember being a lightbulb, a soldier, an enticing female, and Thing (that hand from The Addam's Family). I know I was a ton of other things, but those are what I think of off the top of my head. If I had pictures here at my house, I'd share. But alas (and thank goodness), I do not. Every year our parade has a theme. Sometimes fairly vague (like "heroes") and sometimes fairly specific (like "musicals"). If there's something big going on, you can bet the fair parade will revolve around that - like the state centennial or the Olympics. The floats have gotten more and more impressive as the years have gone on... But this year they put some major restrictions on them - they had a budget and actual RULES!! Eeek. The floats turned out okay, but the parade just didn't have that fun pop it usually has. Not to mention the theme was "candy." (Huh?)

Okay... SO... Not that I really wanted to see the grade school kids walk down the street. Or the not-so-expensive floats. I really wouldn't have gone at all. BUT... Mom and Dad were honorablly named Mr. & Mrs. Fletcher (i.e. the grand marshals of the parade). So even being only a few days from my due date, I did not want to miss the pictures. Erin & Alan kind of stink at taking pictures and documenting things. I guess I got Mom's camera-obessive gene (why did THAT have to be the one thing I got from her?? lol). I was supposed to be meeting the folks later in the day to drop off the boys anyway - they're staying in Fletcher until Logan's arrival... So I just packed up early and took off. I'm so glad I did. The boys really had a good time. I took their little lawn chairs, and they had bags to put all their candy in. Plus, we got them there early enough that they got an extra night at the fair (which, sadly, I didn't stay for so - you got it - no pictures).

I feel SOOOO blessed to have the opportunity to live close enough to "home" that my boys are getting to grow up experiencing some of life's little joys that I had my entire growing up years. It's an amazing thing to know in your head that the Fletcher Free Fair would be a big joke to anyone outside of our little town (you can ask John for his opinion), but to be committed to attending nonetheless. It's a Fletcher thing... And we take it quite seriously - so seriously that I remember writing a paper on the irony of it all during my college composition class. haha!!! So anyway... Here are some of the pictures that were captured during the big day.... Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lisa Laxton said...

I think it would have been a classic story if you were to be able to say you went into labor on "Labor" Day! So think positive thoughts for tomorrow!