Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Wedding Recap

ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY – Wedding Recap

One month today... It's been a great month. We've run across a few challenging situations, but nothing horrible. In fact, it's all been trivial, pretty much.

On this special marker day, I think I'll take some time to reflect and describe the day as I remember it. So this could be long. I don't care, though. I want to be able to have this written down somewhere so I'll have it to remember in the years to come.

Mar. 12 – The day started out slowly. All of us girls had my bridesmaid luncheon up at the pharmacy at 11:00, so we were all up and out of the house fairly early. The boys slept in. We’re ordering drinks at lunch and we’re told that if we want pop we’d better order it now because the pop machine would be down for the next few hours. Didn’t think much about it. We ate sandwiches and salad and had fat cake for dessert. My mom read “THE WEDDING” from her “It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It” book. We all laughed. After taking some pictures and handing out gifts, we headed home. WELL… Here’s where the story gets fun… We get home to find out that the water is not on. Apparently a water main had broken in town and THAT was what was meant by “the pop machine would be down.” The boys were just getting up and unable to shower. It was kind of humorous, but at the same time, not a good situation. The water finally came back on in time for them to get showers before the rehearsal. (*wipes brow* Whew!) We had the dinner before the rehearsal – Mexican. The rehearsal was actually a lot of fun. Seemed to go fast.

After the rehearsal, all the girls went up to the school to decorate. We had a lot of fun! I put the flowers on my cake, Kay and Whit laid out the napkins, Shawna and Stephanie arranged chairs and the tables, and I don’t remember what Erin did… I think she was helping me do flowers? Kathy made the bows for the cake, and my mom was running around like a chicken with her head cut off. Like I said, we had fun. The girls and I all got home from the cafeteria (finishing decorations) and sat in the living room watching “Newsies.” Shawna and I sang all the songs. We each painted our nails, too – and some of us did our toenails. My nails were French Manicured (courtesy of Kay), and my toenails were blue (polish courtesy of Pat and our Florida trip). I finally got to bed around midnight I think. I slept in Alan’s bed (which, coincidentally used to be mine) while the girls slept in the living room. My alarm was set for WAY too early in the morning.

Mar. 13 – I tried calling John at midnight to tell him “happy wedding day” but he didn’t answer. I found out later that they were “bachelor-ing.” Anyway… My alarm went off at 5:30 in the morning. I had my hair appointment at 6:30. I was SO not awake. After I got my hair done, Mom and I went back to the house. I didn’t have much to do for the next few hours – we were just waiting for all the girls to get their hair done. I sat down (it’s about 8:30?) in front of the TV and find a movie to watch. All of the sudden it hits me. That I’m getting married in a few hours? Nah. The need for a pizza. I ask – well, beg, really – my mom to go to the store to pick one up for me. She does. I cooked it and sat in front of the TV watching “Sweet Home Alabama” (yeah, a wedding movie) while eating my delicious pizza. YUM!

Finally, it’s time to go to the church. I brush my teeth again and head over there (in the drizzling rain, mind you). I’m in a really good mood. I got my mom’s little radio/CD player and found the local oldies station. I remember “Ain’t No Mountain” being on the radio and me having a ball dancing to it! We had cold cuts, cheese and crackers for lunch, but I wasn’t hungry. I was just freaking out because it was getting close to pictures and Erin’s hair wasn’t done yet. READ: Girl who is doing my makeup NOT at church. YIKES! She finally shows up and gets started on me. She did a wonderful job. And my photographer showed up about the same time and got a lot of good pictures of us getting ready. We get our pictures taken and the boys started taking theirs. (I did a no-no and snuck into the back of the sanctuary – behind the collapsible doors – and snuck a peek of John taking pictures. He looked so handsome.) The girls got mad at me, so I sulkily went back to “my end” of the church. I sent Erin to give John his card, and Jacob and I played a quick game of air-hockey in the youth room. This is about the time I started getting nervous. I realized how close it was getting, and how I needed to take a few minutes to really just relax. Kathy asked me if I wanted to find a classroom and have a few minutes with just my family to pray and talk, but just the thought made me start crying, and I didn’t want to be puffy, so I said no.

All of the sudden, it seemed, I heard the music start. I remember standing by Jacob and bending down and looking him in the eye. “Hey Jacob, my wedding just started,” I said. He grinned – not really comprehending what I meant, I’m sure. Everyone walked in, and it was almost my turn. My dad and I were standing out in the foyer when he grabbed my hankie out of my hand. “Yep, that’s what I thought,” he mused. What? “That hankie was your grandpa Hall’s.” And commence the tears. I gently whacked him for doing that to me right before I was to walk down the aisle. But by that time, it was my turn. John tells me that he couldn’t see me at the back of the church, but I was standing in a spot where he could see my bouquet. And commence the tears. I remember walking down the aisle in a blur. The only thing I thought was “Don’t cry too much.” Finally my dad and I got to the front of the church.

I don’t remember much after that. The ceremony went by so fast. I’m glad we have the video. The vows, the rings, the prayers and the kiss. It was all one big blur – except for John choking up as he said his vows. I’ll never forget that. But then Lee said, “May I now present to, for the first time, Mr. and Mrs…” Wow.

Pictures went fast, too. I wish I’d taken more, but both John and I were in a hurry to get to the reception. It was a whole lot of (not) fun trying to get to the school with it raining outside. We wrapped a sheet around the bottom half of my dress, and it helped some. (I still got a little muddy.) We got to the school, did the whole cut the cake, drink the punch thing. I was happy to see so many people. Aunts and uncles, cousins, friends… I got to meet Alan’s girlfriend Ashley. Nathaniel was there – he who traveled the farthest. Your prize is a picture with the bride. We threw the bouquet and the garter… I got a little peeved because John’s sister and Shawna both caught it, and she actually had the nerve to fight Shawna for it. But she gave up and let Shawna have it. Johnathan caught the garter. Alan passed around one of John’s shoes for charity purposes… Everyone pitched in to help us pay for the honeymoon. People were so generous. It’s good to be loved.

After more pictures and a little mingling, it was finally time to go. We went back to the house where the car was mutilated (yes, even in the rain) and changed to leave. Before we went, though, we opened all the rest of the presents… John wasn’t feeling well – he actually had a really bad sinus headache – so we tried to hurry. We finally got gone and headed off toward the honeymoon. But that’s all another tale for another time.

One month. It goes by so fast. But it sure is great to be married to the man I love… And to have such a special day to start our life together.

No comments: